Thursday, August 15, 2019

Cultivating Joyful Observation

What tends to rob your joy?

My wife and I have four kids, and I tend to struggle with impatience.  Being stuck in traffic (I know Reno, NV does not have traffic compared to most other cities) when the kids are making a chorus of wining / crying / complaining tends to rob my joy!  Other joy-robbers include various sinful escapes or simply focusing on frustrations, annoyances, and worries. 

Is there a biblical way to renew my joy?



Though I am just beginning to put this into words, I think both the Psalmist behind Psalm 119 and Paul were onto something extraordinary with the following words:

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways," (Psalm 119:37, ESV).

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things," (Philippians 4:8).

The Psalmist gives us the negative - stop focusing on things that are worthless.  And then the positive - God, help me to find life in following You!  Psalm 119 is the longest psalm which praises God's law.  The Psalmist contrasts the worthless things of this world - passing pleasures, sinful escapes, worrisome toils - with living in obedience to God. 

Paul gives us a thought-sieve.  Intentionally focus on things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise.  This appears to require intentionally avoiding thoughts outside this given criteria set AND intentionally dwelling on / with thoughts that fit.

So, what are some practical ways to do what the Psalmist and Paul advise?

I'd like to suggest we practice joyful observation.  This could be taking time to pause and look at something outside until one's sense of wonder is kindled, like a child's.  This could be reading and rereading a verse or passage of Scripture until one has that delightful "ah-ha" moment.  This could be sharing clean humor - growing in the ability to be amused with ordinary things.  This could be slowing down enough to have substantial conversations - laughing and talking about important things.  This could be learning to appreciate beauty, whether in art or literature or some other avenue.  Finally, joyful observation encourages constant praying because we express our observations to God as praise and thanks so regularly life feels like an unbroken conversation with the Almighty.

Here's one from my life this morning, my joyful observation: God, thank you for giving my eight-month-old daughter curly hair.  She's the first child of mine that has curly hair.  It gives her a playful look all the time.  When she looks at me and smiles, I cannot help smiling back at Alethia.  Her curls remind me both of fire and the splash of water.  Thank you God for Alethia's curls!

May God give you joyful observations today!

No comments:

Post a Comment